Paleo Almond Butter Cups
Peanut butter cups are one of the most decadent candies. Rich, nutty, sticks-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth peanut butter and creamy chocolate are the perfect pairing.
This is a paleo, peanut-free, dairy-free, vegan & vegetarian version of the classic peanut butter cup using only four ingredients. With no refined sugar, its a snack you can feel good about eating. It's a little time consuming, but they're so good it's totally worth the effort.
Paleo Almond Butter CUps
TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, natural almond butter
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup paleo chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- Over a double boiler, melt chocolate chips & coconut oil over low heat until smooth.
- Spoon 1 tsp of melted chocolate into the bottom of your mini cupcake liner. Tilt the liner so that it's vertical and (working quickly) turn the liner until the chocolate coats the sides of paper. You basically want to let gravity pull the pooled chocolate around the sides. I find that the easiest way to do this while keeping the liner sturdy (and not burning your hands) is to separate the top liner from the stack, place it back inside the stack gently, and then pull the liner out once it's coated in chocolate. I like to keep a cookie sheet in the freezer and pop the liners into the freezer to set one-by-one, instead of waiting to coat all the liners before freezing and then having to wait extra time for them to set. I can do this because my freezer is right next to my work station, but if this is inconvenient for you, you can coat them all and then freeze all at once.
- While the chocolate is setting in the freezer, melt almond butter & maple syrup in the microwave for 30 seconds - 1 minute. You want the almond butter to be just melted so that it's easier to spoon into the cups, but not scalding hot. Once it's warm, mix the almond butter and maple syrup to combine.
- Take the cups out of the freezer and fill the cups with the almond butter mixture, about a teaspoon per cup. Add another teaspoon of melted chocolate on top of the almond butter, and with the back of the spoon, gently move the chocolate around to completely cover the top and meet the edges of the liner.
- Put the finished cups back in the freezer to harden (about 30 minutes) and then keep refrigerated until eating. These can be kept frozen for 1-2 months in an airtight container, just let them thaw for an hour or two in the fridge before eating.
Yield: Approximately 24 Cups; Serving Size: 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories - 96 | Carbohydrates - 8g | Total Fat - 7g | Protein - 2g | Sodium - 0mg | Sugar - 6g